Yes, it’s a pile of threads pulled out of a quilt I’m working on. But why?
When I finish quilting my work, especially larger pieces, I like to “block” them before adding the binding. To do this, I use a sprayer to wet the quilt, then I lay it on towels on the floor, and gently smooth and pull it into a nice rectangular, flat, shape.
Unfortunately, this time several fabrics I used in the backing (which I know I had washed (years ago)) and which had not acted suspiciously, bled through to the front in rather unsightly ways.
Add to that a general dissatisfaction with the overall puffiness of the quilt, and finding more ugly puckers on the back than I had originally thought I had.
There was only one thing to do. I picked out all the quilting and separated the backing from the top and from the batting. I will gently wash the top in a detergent that often works in situations like this, and hope for the best. I will wash the crap out of the backing and set it aside for another project. I will break my no new, off the bolt, fabric, and go buy a nice, quality backing fabric in a neutral color that won’t bleed and won’t matter even if it did. I will re-quilt using cotton batting instead of wool. As mush as I like the buttery softness of wool, it’s lightness, and it’s resistance to creasing, it’s just too lofty for the amount of quilting I want to do (or lack thereof, as wool seems to look better with denser quilting and cotton stays flatter with comparatively less).
As the quilt says, I will suck it up and drive on.