We’ve owned our house for just over a year now, and have actually lived in it just under a year. It is looking cleaner, fresher, and a lot more modern these days. In the two and a half months before we moved in, my mom and step dad removed what seemed like a metric-tonne of wallpaper, and painted the bedrooms and a few other high use rooms. That made a huge difference in the house right away. Adding our furniture and stuff made it “ours.” Since then, we’ve been moving from project to project, hopefully improving the house, and definitely updating it. The deck (two posts previous) has proven to be well worth the money spent. We’ve been enjoying the warm weather and entertaining friends and family on it. The interim kitchen/dining room is comfortable (though not optimal for large groups — I think we’ll need a big table option). I love the upstairs bathroom (scroll past the “before” to see it’s bright “after”), and the colorful doors have continued downstairs. Of course, the girl’s room is still awesome. The downstairs bathroom, which we identified as a “right away” project is nearly done, but stalled out until I get around to tiling the baseboard. Guests report that it functions very nicely though! The other urgent project was to waterproof the basement storage area from the outside so it doesn’t leak. That’s now done, but things pretty much look the same. And we won’t really know if it’s fixed until torrential winter rains.
So, my most recent finish to share is the stairwell from upstairs to downstairs. It started out with wallpaper and worn grey carpet which we all agreed was just sad. A few months ago, my mom and step dad came over and we got rid of all the wallpaper. Then I did nothing (well, nothing on the stairwell. I was tiling the shower and freshening up the man cave instead).
Finally, a couple weeks ago, I realized that we were going to have a slew of houseguests and I probably needed to at least get the handrail back up. That meant I needed to paint the walls. with white walls and a fun orange handrail (to match the bathroom door and accent wall), I was compelled to rip up the carpet. The stairs underneath were a big mess and I spent a day with my heat gun, scraper, and sander getting rid of residual glue from rubber tread mats and smoothing out splintery edges.
I uncovered a bit of confetti patterned linoleum original to the house on the upper landing. It’s pretty dingy and crackled, but I think it will inspire the next flooring when we update the kitchen in a few years.
A few coats of primer and blue floor paint left over from the man cave update and the stairwell is looking almost inviting!
I’d like to add a runner, but for now, this will do.