31 Aug

Blurred Boundaries Show

Blurred Boundaries started today and runs through September 4th.

It is a Mixed Media Fiber Art exhibit Juried by Virginia Spiegel and curated by  Lynn Krawczyk.

The definition of Fiber Art has evolved greatly over the past few years, opening up a new range of possibilities to artists working in various disciplines. Fiber artists are incorporating more mediums into their work, creating unique art that reaches across previously defined boundaries. Artists from other mediums are discovering the infinite possibilities that fiber can offer, also creating hybrids that are eye catching and moving. Blurred Boundaries seeks these arttworks for a week long exhibition honoring the ingenuity of mixed media fiber art.

I have two pieces on display:

“Fairytale Forest (click to enlarge) ©2009  32″ x 32”

Pink House

Pink House ©2009  18″ x 18″

The exhibit will be open to the public during the following hours: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Exhibit Location: Fabrications Retreat, Raddison Plaza Hotel Kalamazoo, Michigan

Show dates: August 31 – September 4, 2009

09 Mar

What Do You Think?

This is a low priority project that I’ve kept setting aside and I finally decided to just do. Ultimately, it should be a quilt for the guest bed we don’t have.

Funny aside: the extra bed we’ve previously had was on loan from the Army as you can borrow basic furniture when living overseas. They don’t loan furniture here in Hawai’i since it is part of the US. However, being stationed in Hawai’i is considered an overseas tour (technically one must go over a sea to get here) and we did what’s called a Consecutive Overseas Tour to get from Germany to here. Go figure.

Anyway, my intention above was to make scrappy mushrooms and piece them as a fairy ring into a scrappy, strippy background. Everything was to be from my stash. Looking at it now, I’m thinking that maybe the ‘shrooms get a little lost and I fully accept that I may have gone overboard on the scrappy background. My solution would be to continue piecing the background strips and then overdye the whole quilt top in a dark green to knock everything back a bit and even out the color. Then I’d add in the fairy ring. This is the same construction I was originally planning, just with the addition of a trip through a bucket of dye before adding the ‘shrooms. My concern with the dye is that the seams will hold more dye and call attention to themselves. I’d be doing a scrunchy type dyeing so complete uniformity is not necessary though.

Before I laid the strips out on my bed, I was concerned that I didn’t have enough strips to finish the top (now unfounded), so I went back to one of my first sketches. What if the ‘shrooms were in a line and the strips were only on one side? I’d have to go buy new fabric for the other side (white blanket in the photo), but maybe then I wouldn’t need to dye the strips — especially if I used them for only about 1/3 of the top instead of the half that it looks like here.

Does anyone have a preference or two cents to add?

24 Jan

It’s all about the guys

First: I owe a huge thanks to my Technical Support department! That would be my husband who, even though he’s on the other side of the world doing far more important things, is willing to muck around in the html of my blog when I can’t figure it out on my own. I am also amazed that technology allows for him to do this kind of thing remotely and with the worst bandwidth ever. Thanks to TS&WGH (Tech Support & World’s Greatest Husband) I have now been upgraded to the newest WordPress and have a Flickr badge and cute category cloud (I’ve always wanted one of those word cloud things. Not sure why.).

I made him go through all this because I can now share stuff I have in my Flickr account since the two gifts posted there for my sister (who reads my blog) are now at her house. I’ve already shared the Wee Kitties Bowling Rainbow, and now I can share the quilt I made for my new nephew, born just last week.

His name is Tanner, which is an Anglicization of the German, Tanne, meaning Pine. Obviously, a tree quilt was in order.

This was the hint back in November, and pretty tree-like, but I REALLY wanted to make a zig zag quilt. I’m very pleased with the plain chocolate linen background paired with the bright string-pieced scraps (I chose linen because it was the only plain fabric in my stash that I had enough of).

Tanner’s Treeline ©2008 Kristin La Flamme

The linen was a little fussy to work with since it moves around a lot more than more tightly woven cotton, and I was being a bit too cavalier with it, so the finished product is a bit wonky, but I don’t think Tanner cares.

30 Nov

Setacolor Weather

I haven’t felt much like blogging in the last week or two. I’m not feeling creative, funny, or even very interesting. That was, until yesterday.

On a whim, I decided that the answer to one of my stumbling blocks was a sun print (don’t hate me because I get perfect Setacolor Transparent weather all year round). I’m really happy with how well the hastily gathered flowers and leaves tuned out, I just had to share.

Ironically, when I went to write this post, I saw that Nadine had nominated me as a Kreativ Blogger (not spelled wrong, just German). Thanks! Now I’m feeling a little better. I know this is a cop-out, but instead of nominating three creative bloggers, I’d rather just direct you to my sidebar where there is a whole list of blogs I follow regularly and they are all creative — every last one. Go check ’em out.