I Instagrammed a bit of this home improvement project, but never really took all the photos I wanted to write a blog post about it. Oh well, sometimes yo have to write the blog post you have, not the post you want.
I sketched the storage that I wanted to build and then went to my mom’s house to use her tools. We also bought my supplies at her local lumber yard, Jerry’s, which is pretty darned awesome. I wish there were one in Portland.
We cut angles, and nested pieces together with dado cuts, and bolted it all temporarily in my mom’s basement. Then I didn’t take any photos of me painting the pieces back at my house, or of me removing bits of wallpaper in the closet/boiler room and painting it.
And here’s the contraption assembled in the closet/boiler room off my studio. The rails are closet rods and sit in the same cups that one would use in a closet so that I can easily remove each rail and roll and unroll the quilts. Each roll is a sturdy tube covered in archival tissue paper. The rolls also now have dust covers. They should have tags with pictures of each quilt on the roll, but I haven’t gotten to that yet.