I’m having a roller coaster-type relationship with this quilt. I loved the idea, but once I started cutting out stringy diamonds I thought it might be too busy and chaotic. Then I made more and arranged them (at friend Kathy’s suggestion) from dark to light, and, wow, I loved the quilt again!
Then came the realization that the diamonds were the wrong shape and would not sew together according to plan — hate. But my blog friends rallied together and came up with lots of solutions.
I was intrigued by Meg’s “Liberated Quilting” inspiration:
I even contemplated an El Lissitsky “Beat the Whites with a Red Wedge” -inspired composition (and patted myself on the back for not letting my art school education go completely to waste):
In the end, it was Nadine‘s “Just add more fabric to make it fit” solution that was my favorite. I may even love my bastard child of a Lone Star and a Mariner’s Compass quilt more than the original idea.
Then yesterday I realized that I didn’t have enough challenge fabric for the background. The irony was not lost on me that although I had guess-timated yardage and rounded up, thus figuring that I could give a half meter to Kathy so she could join the challenge, in the end I came up about a half meter short! Arghhhh. This only slowed me down a few hours. I decided that since the star was stringy and pieced, I could piece the background as well. But now, with the funky angles, I couldn’t force any wayward fabric back to a 45° or 90° shape. I could only do the best I could with freezer paper and a protractor. The background is all ripply. More frustration.
OK, deep breath. I ripped and pinned and adjusted so that the ripples that are left should be able to be quilted out. (No rulers will be allowed within 50 feet of the finished quilt.) I reminded myself that the ultimate purpose of this quilt is that it is to be used on our bed and proceeded to add a small border (more will come).