Lucky me! I had most of the day to myself today. I finished couching black chenille around the owls and pressed the quilt top flat. When I had originally fused the shapes to the batting, I did it on my ironing board. When I hung it on the wall, it had a little wave here and there from where it had hung off the edge of the board. I chalked that one up as experience and decided to move on, crossing my fingers that it will all work out in the end. Today, I pinned the top to the floor and pressed the bejesus out of it. Yippee! It’s looking great!
Check out my helpers. Madison the cat helps to keep yarns and sketches from defying gravity and flying out of the basket. My daughter is making sure I stay true to her original drawing. Now, I’ve pinned the backing on. Again, I hold my breath as I’ve chosen a black backing with turquoise and pink dots on it. It will hide the ends of the black chenille, and doesn’t seem to show through the lighter areas of the quilt on the front. Oh, I hope I’m right.
After sewing on the backing, using Mrs. Mel’s escape hatch method. my next task is to quilt it. Gulp. I’m not sure I’m up for the task. I am sooooo nervous that I will ruin this quilt, which I love so far, with shoddy machine quilting. I take solace in knowing that I have 3 more fused pieces from Sue Benner’s class at Art Quilt Tahoe to practice on. Hmmmmmmmm.