I loved this dress in a window in France. But alas, the store was closed. I eyed some other summer dresses as well, but once in the store, I just lost interest in trying on anything (I’m a lousy shopper).
However, while shopping for handles for Bag #7, I found a lovely linen with little brown flowers embroidered all over it. I found a pattern with similar shapes and stayed up late two nights ago and the night before making this dress. Somehow, my version looks too 80s though. I liked the fluttery sleeves in the pattern, but with the yoke, they got too stiff and lost their flutter. I thought that the embroidered fabric would make up for the patchwork in the original, but I guess not. I had the asymetrical underskirt, but there were just too many gathers and it looked silly, so it got reworked into a contrasting band.
I played with my fancy stitches on the machine and even did some bobbin work with perl cotton and I really like how that turned out. The dress fits OK and is well made with nice finished seams, but I just can’t get past how 80s it looks. If I tried it on in a store and wasn’t pleased, I’d just put it back on the rack. Now I’m out money and time. Bummer.