06 Oct

More Costuming

None Shall Pass!

This has turned out to be a rather cobbled together costume. The helmet is a cardboard one we bought in Germany a few years ago and which has been waiting patiently for the rest of the ensemble. The shield and sword are wooden ones also from Germany medieval festivals and which have seen lots of use in backyard battles since.

Who Goes There?

I knit the chain mail out of a semi-metallic crochet yarn and big needles. It looks pretty authentic, but all the loops pull and distort easily and it was a pain in the butt to knit. In retrospect (and if I need to make a girl version of this outfit to go with her sword and shield) I would probably be better off getting the metallic mesh fabric at the fabric store. The belt came straight out of my closet.

What?

The bracers have been the project of the last two days.  They are made of fun foam cut to shape and secured with elastic and velcro. I used as many supplies as possible already in the house, but I really, really, really should have gotten black elastic. The white just makes the whole thing cheesy. It’s all buried in layers of foam in hot glue though, so I don’t think I’ll actually change anything. We need to do something about the pants too. I don’t think they had track suits in the Middle Ages. He’s got some light brown pants that should look more authentic and allow the leg bracers to show up better too.

04 Oct

Let the Costume Crafting Begin

Fairy Costume

A fairy has landed in our yard.

Fairy Costume

She’s ethereal and sparkly and so very cute.

Fairy Costume

The design was dictated by Katja and inspired by costumes in the Chasing Fireflies catalog. She drew me a picture as a guide, but I lost it.

The wings are wire from the craft store covered in sparkly green nylon, also from the craft store (meant to make flowers), but a trip to the hosiery department would be just as effective. The wings are sewn to a fabric covered piece of Timtex (heavy duty interfacing) as are two loops of fabric covered elastic shoulder straps.

The bodice is crushed stretch velvet well suited for ice skating costumes. I liked it’s color and shine. I used McCall’s 4246 pattern for the princessy bodice, but altered it with a separating zipper instead of buttons in the back, and iridescent cap sleeves.

The skirt is three layers of light blue tulle, one layer of light green organza, one layer of dark green organza that came with embroidered leaves and a pretty scalloped edge, iridescent “leaves,” and a poof of more light green organza — all sewn into a casing waistband and gathered with elastic.

The gauntlets are of my own design, made with more of the stretch velvet, an elastic cord loop at the fingertips, and elastic sewn into the top seam, to keep them up.

For Trick or Treating and  a Halloween dance, she’ll add brown leggings underneath and brown Mary Janes.

03 Oct

My Concession To Autumn

My Concession to Autumn

It must be autumn since I’m wearing jeans and a sweater!

The tank is my first attempt at knitting something non-rectangular. It’s Soleil from Knitty.com. It really was an easy knit and a perfect first step into shaping and garments. The yarn was a present from my sister and is a super-soft bamboo wool mix (Fibra Natura Exquisite Bamboo) that, though splitty, and prone to drapeyness in the finished garment, feels so nice against the skin it’s worth it. The lace pattern at the bottom gets lost in the variegated colors of the yarn, but oh well, I still like it. I think it will look good vest-like over a white blouse too.

02 Oct

A Little More Progress

Today I made great progress on a fairy costume for my daughter. Skirt and wings are done; bodice and gauntlets need to be fitted, but she’s off at a party with a friend, so it will have to wait. Chain mail for my son is blocking.

Yellow Strings

But instead of costume progress, I’ll share last week’s quilt progress. The green and the blue scraps have been joined by yellow scraps. And all the scraps are joined with sprout green and Hawaiian red dirt solids.

WIP

I had started sewing the scraps together just to use them up, knowing that sooner or later I’d think of some place to use them. When the idea came to me, it required a more judicious use of scraps, so while I used up a lot of greens, I was left at least half the blue scraps, and I hardly made a dent in the yellow/brown bin.

I’m very pleased with how this quilt is turning out, even if it’s not the scrap-stash buster I has original thought it would be.